Here are five tips to help you explore voices of the LGBTQ+ experience as well as a convenient clickable list of LGBTQ+ authors linked directly to our catalog for placing requests or checking out e-books and audiobooks. If you need help finding books by LGBTQ+ authors, we can help!
1. Read an award winner.
Make a selection from some of the most distinguished honors in literature.
- Awarded since 1971, The Stonewall Book Award goes to books of exceptional merit relating to the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender experience. See the Stonewall Award winners in our catalog.
- The Lambda Literary Awards (or “Lammys”) have been awarded for more than 30 years. The Lammys are given in 24 categories celebrating LGBTQ storytelling. See the Lambda Literary Award winners in our catalog.
2. Borrow e-books or downloadable audiobooks.
Browse OverDrive’s LGBTQIA+ collections of e-books and downloadable audiobooks.
- LGBTQIA+ Fiction from OverDrive
- LGBTQIA+ Fiction for Teens from OverDrive
- LGBTQIA+ Nonfiction from OverDrive
- LGBTQIA+ Nonfiction for Teens from OverDrive
If you have never borrowed from OverDrive or the OverDrive Libby app before, both browser directions and app directions are available as well as a video tutorial and Overdrive/Libby Support.
Need more help? Ask a Library staff member at any of our locations or call, text or email Ask-a-Librarian. Additionally, the Tinker Station helpline at (317) 275-4500 is also available. It is staffed by device experts who can answer questions about how to read, watch and listen on a PC, tablet or phone.
3. Get reading recommendations from IndyPL staff.
- Queer vampires – IndyPL_SarahS
- #WakeUpIndy: Classically Queer – IndyPL_DanA
- Intersections of Queerness and Disability – IndyPL_RachelNW
- LGBTQ in 2022 // Graphic Novels – IndyPL_ShainaS
- LGBTQ+ Manga Artists – IndyPL_ShannonO
Featured Book List: LGBTQ+ Historical Fiction
LGBTQ+ people have always existed, and these stories prove it. Here are some historical fiction novels from various places and time periods.
4. Use your IndyPL Library card to login to Novelist Plus.
Novelist Plus makes finding books by LGBTQ+ authors easier. Browse recommendations, read-alikes, series lists, reviews, and lists of award-winning books all by LGBTQ+ authors on Novelist. Browse the LGBTQIA category to see sample and see listings that show a star rating and the option to “Check Availability” to see if a book is available to borrow from IndyPL. When you click on a book you can read a brief description and get ideas for read alikes.
5. Subscribe to the Rainbow Reads newsletter from NextReads.
Subscribe to NextReads to receive reading recommendation in your inbox monthly for help finding books by LGBTQ+ authors. Book suggestions are linked to our catalog for easy requesting. It’s FREE! See a sample issue and Subscribe to NextReads!
LGBTQ+ Adult Authors
Poppy Z. Brite
Rita Mae Brown
Samuel R. Delany
Andrew Sean Greer
Caitlin R. Kiernan
Daniel M. Lavery
Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
Carmen Maria Machado
H. Sharif Williams
LGBTQ+ Teen Authors
Shaun David Hutchinson
Tehlor Kay Mejia