Join author Virginia Loh-Hagan as she reads aloud from her book PoPo’s Lucky Chinese New Year, a story about the traditional customs of the month-long celebration of Chinese New Year. It’s Chinese New Year storytime online!
After listening to the story, talk about some of the things that happened in it.
- Who is PoPo?
- Where did PoPo travel from to come celebrate Chinese New Year?
- What does PoPo say happens if you wash your hair on New Year’s Day?
- Would you eat your noodles broken, or whole?
- What two colors did Po Po use in the directions they made?
Use your indyPL Library Card to check out books about Chinese New Year at any of our locations, or check out Chinese New Year e-books and audiobooks from OverDrive Kids right to your device. If you have never used OverDrive before, you can learn how to use it for both e-books and audiobooks.
Click on a book cover below to enjoy four more video read alouds featuring stories by Grace Lin, Demi, Ji-li Jiang, and Virginia Loh-Hagan. It’s Chinese New Year storytime online, and more! Did you like these? You can find more stories at Free Video Read Alouds and enjoy even more themed reading and activity fun at IndyPL’s DIY Online Storytimes at Home.
Chinese New Year Books to Check Out with your IndyPL Library Card
Celebrate Chinese New Year and learn about Chinese culture! Stories about the Zodiac animals, family traditions and the foods that surround the holiday.
Tasty dishes, good luck wishes, Happy Lunar New Year! Join Sesame Street at the Lunar New Year parade and sing along to this exciting Happy Lunar New Year song!
Find some crayons or makers to color a Chinese New Year picture, practice writing the letters, or see if you can follow your way through a maze without getting stuck.
- Trace the words in both English and Chinese that are good wishes for the New Year.
- Draw a Chinese Dragon with Letters with Grace Lin
- Grace Lin’s Video Tutorial How to Draw a Lucky Chinese Tiger
- Grace Lin’s Video Tutorial How to Draw an Ox for Lunar New Year
- Grace Lin’s Video Tutorial How to Draw a Chinese Dragon
Join Us for In-Person Storytime!
- Event: Storytime at Lawrence – Pajama Storytime!
- Date & Time: Monday, October 02, 6:30pm
- Location: Lawrence Branch
- Description: Young children and their caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, and fun. Stay after stories are finished for some literacy activities and play time.
- No Registration Required.
- Event: Storytime at Glendale – Babies
- Date & Time: Tuesday, October 03, 10:30am
- Location: Glendale Branch
- Description: Babies up to 24 months and an adult are invited for stories, songs, fingerplays and fun! Each session is followed by playtime with special toys designed just for babies.
- No Registration Required.
Ask a Library staff member at any of our locations or call, text, or email Ask-a-Librarian. The Tinker Station helpline at (317) 275-4500 is also available. It is staffed by device experts who can answer questions about how to read, watch and listen on a PC, tablet or phone.