According to the American Society of Deaf Children (ASDC), “Research shows that reading and signing stories together helps promote essential literacy skills for ALL children: deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing.” This page highlights some favorites! Just click on a book cover to enjoy the video read alouds in American Sign Language. To keep up-to-date on new releases and see a more complete listing, The ASDC maintains a running list of signed stories in their ASL Stories Directory. Use it to quickly find stories by a child’s age or by the book’s title.
Stories that are both Read Aloud and Signed (ASL):
Stories Signed (ASL) Only:
Where to Find More Video Read Alouds in American Sign Language:
- American Society for Deaf Children: ASL Stories Directory
- California School for the Deaf Video Sign Alouds for Children
- Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind: Video Storytelling for Families
- Rocky Mountain Deaf School: ASL Video Storytelling
- Rochester School for the Deaf: Video Storytimes
- Washington School for the Deaf: ASL Storytime
- Washington Reading Corps: Books in ASL
- Rocky Mountain Deaf School: ASL Video Storytelling for Toddlers
- Foundations for Literacy: ASL Stories
- ASL Stories Directory Hundreds of free videos of ASL retellings of favorite children’s books.
- #OperationASLStorytime on Youtube, Instagram and Twitter is a collection of children’s stories translated into American Sign Language (ASL).