Research & Learn

Taxes: Filing and Forms

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. ~ Albert Einstein. It’s time to file your taxes! Many Library patrons rely on IndyPL for tax forms and filing instruction booklets.

In order to encourage more tax payers to file electronically, both the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Indiana State Department of Revenue (DOR) are limiting distribution of paper forms and instructions. Here is what to expect if you come into a Library for tax documents.

  • We have preprinted packets of the most common tax forms and schedule forms for free to patrons – first come, first served and only one packet per patron. (Download PDF Packet)
  • You may use a Library computer to view tax instructions and booklets online, or you can print them on our printers. The first four black-and-white pages printed are free. Each page printed after that will be $0.15 per black-and-white page.
  • We offer a limited number of Federal 1040 and Indiana IT-40 booklets at some branch locations.
  • Library staff cannot help you select or fill out your tax forms.
  • See our Frequently Asked Questions below for more information.

Links to printable tax forms online or by phone:

Tax preparation help:

  • The East 38th Street will serve as a Volunteer Tax Assistance Program location by appointment through the middle of April. Please call 317-275-4352 for more information.
  • Free Last Minute Tax Assistance
    East 38th Street Friday, May 15
    Call 317-275-4359 for more information or to schedule one of 30 in-person tax preparation appointments. Or, just walk in on May 17th with your documents for drop-off preparation with no appointment required. Note: This program happens AFTER the filing deadline.  If you expect you will OWE taxes, you will need to file form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension to File, by April 15th.
  • Garfield Park Tax Resources
    Friday, April 12 at 2:30 p.m. Register
    Come find out how to locate, print, and find resources to help prepare you to fill out your taxes. Plus, learn how to tell which websites are official government sites and which are not.
  • File Federal Taxes Free Online (if income under $79,000)
  • United Way provides in partnership with the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to help filers prepare their tax returns on their own or have their return prepared for them for free. You can also call MyFreeTaxes at 866-698-9435 Jan. 24 – Oct. 31.

FAQ Filing Taxes

How do I print documents at The Library?

You can print from using the URL of a file, or by uploading a file from your device. You can also easily print from Library computers, or ask a staff member for help.

Can I get free help filing my taxes?

Library staff cannot help fill out forms, but here are some links to local organizations that can help:

See our booklist for suggestions for learning more about filing income taxes.

Where can I find IRA Information?

Do you have a Roth or a Traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA)? Use these links to find the latest information on contribution limits and withdrawals.