Hanukkah in Alaska, by Barbara Brown and winner of the 2014 Sydney Taylor Book Award, is the story of what Hanukkah is like for a little girl living during a long, cold Alaskan winter. For her, daylight only lasts for five hours each day and she doesn’t have squirrels or rabbits in her backyard, she has a moose! Can she convince the moose to leave her trees and swing alone by sharing a Hanukkah treat? You can listen to Hanukkah in Alaska right now, read aloud by Molly Ephraim. Enjoy Hanukkah storytime online!
After listening to the story, talk about some of the things that happened in it.
- What animals do you think live in Alaska?
- Why do people in Alaska have to look out for moose? What should they do if they come across one?
- There is only five hours of daylight in Alaska in the winter. Would you like it to be dark that much?
- What do they call everywhere else that is not Alaska?
- What does the moose do in the backyard?
- What things does she try to get the moose to leave?
- What holiday is the family celebrating?
- What do they see up in the sky?
Use your indyPL Library Card to check out books about Hanukkah at any of our locations, or check out Hanukkah e-books and audiobooks from OverDrive Kids right to your device! If you have never used OverDrive before, you can learn how to use it for both e-books and audiobooks.
Click on the book covers below to listen to more Hanukkah video read aloud stories right now! It’s Hanukkah storytime online! Did you like these? You can find more stories at Free Video Read Alouds and enjoy even more themed reading and activity fun at IndyPL’s DIY Online Storytimes at Home.
Stories for Hanukkah to Check Out with your IndyPL Library Card
Here are 50+ wonderful Hanukkah stories – so many you can read more than one each night! These selections come from The Sydney Taylor Book Award that recognizes the best Jewish children’s books each year, as well as the PJ Library, and the Association of Jewish Libraries.
Join Robert and the Theatre Troupe at the Miami Children’s Museum to learn about Hanukkah traditions, “the festival of lights”, and the dreidel – then sing along with them to celebrate!
Find some crayons or makers to color a picture, practice writing the letters, or see if you can follow your way through a maze without getting stuck.
Join Us for In-Person Storytime!
- Event: Bilingual Storytime at Nora – Spanish / Hora del cuento bilingüe – en español
- Date & Time: Monday, September 25, 10:30am
- Location: Nora Branch
- Description: Join Ms. Laura as she presents a bilingual storytime! Preschoolers will enjoy books, songs, and games in both Spanish and English. / Escuche a la señora Laura y su hora del cuento bilingüe en español e inglés. ¡Los preescolares se divertirán con libros, canciones y juegos!
- No Registration Required.
Ask a Library staff member at any of our locations or call, text, or email Ask-a-Librarian. The Tinker Station helpline at (317) 275-4500 is also available. It is staffed by device experts who can answer questions about how to read, watch and listen on a PC, tablet or phone.