In Mommy’s Khimar, a young girl’s mother has a closet full of beautiful flowing scarves called khimars. A khimar is a veil or scarf worn in public by some Muslim women. The little girl in the story likes to play dress-up with her mom’s beautiful khimars. While dressed in them she uses her imagination to be a queen, a superhero, and her mom! She feels her mother’s love in each scarf as it covers her. You can listen to this story below read aloud by the author, Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow. Enjoy Mother’s Day storytime online!
After listening to the story, talk about some of the things that happened in it.
- If you look at the page that shows mommy’s closet full of khimars, which one is your favorite?
- Which khimar is the little girl’s favorite?
- Do you like to play pretend? What kinds of things do you like to pretend to be?
Below are several more stories about amazing mothers. Each is a video read aloud, just click on a book cover to hear more Mother’s Day storytime online!
Use your indyPL Library Card to check out books about Mother’s Day at any of our locations, or check out e-books and audiobooks about Mother’s Day from OverDrive Kids right to your device! If you have never used OverDrive before, you can learn how to use it for both e-books and audiobooks.
Click on the book covers below to listen to more video read aloud stories about Mother’s Day right now! It’s Mother’s Day storytime online! Did you like these? You can find more stories at Free Video Read Alouds and enjoy even more themed reading and activity fun at IndyPL’s DIY Online Storytimes at Home.
Books for Kids that Celebrate Amazing Mamas to Check Out with your IndyPL Library Card
From poignant to laugh-out-loud these picture book tributes to all kind of moms leave no doubt as to the true definition of unconditional love – mamas themselves. Perfect stories for Mother’s Day and every day.
Enjoy this sing along from The Laurie Berkner Band. “Everyone knows there’s nothing quite like a hug from their mom. In this sweet and cheery tune, Laurie Berkner lets kids in on the secret that for all the mothers, mamas, mommies, and moms out there, there’s nothing quite like a hug from their children, either!”
Join Us for In-Person Storytime!
- Event: Storytime at Lawrence – Pajama Storytime!
- Date & Time: Monday, October 02, 6:30pm
- Location: Lawrence Branch
- Description: Young children and their caregivers are invited to join us for stories, songs, and fun. Stay after stories are finished for some literacy activities and play time.
- No Registration Required.
- Event: Storytime at Glendale – Babies
- Date & Time: Tuesday, October 03, 10:30am
- Location: Glendale Branch
- Description: Babies up to 24 months and an adult are invited for stories, songs, fingerplays and fun! Each session is followed by playtime with special toys designed just for babies.
- No Registration Required.
Ask a Library staff member at any of our locations or call, text, or email Ask-a-Librarian. The Tinker Station helpline at (317) 275-4500 is also available. It is staffed by device experts who can answer questions about how to read, watch and listen on a PC, tablet or phone.