Gardening is a great opportunity to practice some planning and organization. Tune in online for a a Gardening Storytime – a great way to read up on beginning gardening projects for kids. When the weather is right, you will be glad you did! For kids, gardening offers a way to get messy and watch the payoff for their hard work, in the form of growing veggies and beautiful flowers. You can say, “Hey! I grew the thing! Look at the thing that I grew! Isn’t it pretty?” Imagine the Instagram fun! And maybe enjoy a little reading too!
Making a connection between gardening and food is an important skill for small children. Where does food come from BEFORE it is in the grocery store? We can help you get started learning about where food comes from. Gardening can supplement any family learning from home opportunities. Get started with Plant the Tiny Seed, by Christie Matheson.
After listening to the gardening storytime, talk about some of the things that happened in the story.
- Have you ever planted any seeds? Did the seed you planted grow? If they did, what did the seeds grow into?
- Can you name any seeds that we eat?
- Can you name the main parts of a plant?
- How do bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds help plants?
Use your indyPL Library Card to check out books about gardens at any of our locations, or check out gardening e-books and audiobooks from OverDrive Kids right to your device! If you have never used OverDrive before, you can learn how to use it for both e-books and audiobooks.
Click on the book covers below to listen to more video read aloud stories about gardening right now! It’s garden storytime online! Did you like these? You can find more stories at Free Video Read Alouds and enjoy even more themed reading and activity fun at IndyPL’s DIY Online Storytimes at Home.
Gardening Books for Kids to Check Out with your IndyPL Library Card
This list contains stories and information books all about growing your own garden and then using what you grow…to eat!
Watch how cooperation makes garden grow and sing along, “Together we can make a pretty garden grow!”
Find some crayons or makers to color a picture, practice writing the letters, or see if you can follow your way through a maze without getting stuck.
Join Us for In-Person Storytime!
- Event: Bilingual Storytime at Nora – Spanish / Hora del cuento bilingüe – en español
- Date & Time: Monday, September 25, 10:30am
- Location: Nora Branch
- Description: Join Ms. Laura as she presents a bilingual storytime! Preschoolers will enjoy books, songs, and games in both Spanish and English. / Escuche a la señora Laura y su hora del cuento bilingüe en español e inglés. ¡Los preescolares se divertirán con libros, canciones y juegos!
- No Registration Required.
Ask a Library staff member at any of our locations or call, text, or email Ask-a-Librarian. The Tinker Station helpline at (317) 275-4500 is also available. It is staffed by device experts who can answer questions about how to read, watch and listen on a PC, tablet or phone.